I’ve posted about Etsy before and now they’re gearing up to host an event like none other! The first ever Etsy Made In Canada! On Saturday, September 27th, 23 locations across Canada will host a one-day marketplace, bringing together local Etsy sellers and communities in celebration of the country’s maker movement! There will be large markets at MaRS (135 local Etsy sellers) and OCAD in Toronto, and Ottawa is actually hosting the largest of the markets across Canada, featuring 158 local Etsy sellers at Bell Sensplex! Can you say WOW?! What an opportunity to find some completely unique items and, my favourite part, save on the shipping! With 158 local Etsy sellers under one roof, just think of all the fun things you’ll find!
I love that, like the video said, you get to meet the maker. It just makes the pieces have that much more meaning than just an item in a store. There are so many reasons that buying locally is better! Here are just a few:
1. Supports community: Small businesses donate more than twice as much per sales dollar to local non-profits, events, and teams compared to big businesses.
2. Get better service: Local businesses often hire people with a better understanding of the products they are selling and take more time to get to know customers.
3. Put your taxes to good use: Local businesses in town centers require comparatively little infrastructure investment and make more efficient use of public services as compared to nationally owned stores entering the community
4. Strengthen your local economy: Each dollar you spend at independent businesses returns 3 times more money to your local economy than one spent at a chain.
5. Create jobs and opportunities: Not only do independent businesses employ more people directly per dollar of revenue, they also are the customers of local printers, accountants, wholesalers, farms, attorneys, etc., expanding opportunities for local entrepreneurs.
Made in Canada is the newest addition to the company’s ongoing offline initiatives, like the recent Etsy Road Trip, aiming to connect sellers to their community of fellow makers and local shoppers as well as facilitate creative collaborations. Be sure to head over to www.etsy.ca/madeincanada to find where your city’s event will be held! If you see me and Lyric at the Ottawa event, please be sure to stop us and say hi!! I can’t wait to see what you find!
Live, Laugh, Love
Contest | Bench Canada #LoveMyHood & #BenchHood Next Post:
Contest | JOEY Eaton Centre is stepping up their game