Coconut is all the rage these days, have you noticed? If you haven’t jumped on this healthy bandwagon yet, where the heck have you been?? And get on it! (Oh, other than maybe the fact that you’re allergic to coconuts, and for that I’ll forgive you… this time). Well, I just can’t get enough of this super-dooper tropical gem and I’m beyond excited to tell you why!
I use it everywhere. I’m not kidding. Everywhere. Inside and out, baby! Coconut oil is actually one of the richest sources of saturated fats. Nope, not the bad kind that you may have heard about in the mass amounts of health-noise out there in that crazy confusing media universe these days. The saturated fat in coconuts is found in the form of medium chain triglycerides (MCT).
What do MCT’s do anyways? Well, they can help with fat loss by boosting your metabolism and increasing energy to burn calories, for one thing. They’re used as a quick source of energy because they head straight to the liver right from the digestive tract. There, they get turned in to ketone-bodies which can help with brain function by supplying energy to the brain cells. Studies have shown that this can aid in relieving symptoms of neurodegenerative disorders, such as in Alzheimer’s patients.
MCT’s can also help to boost your good cholesterol levels, thus reducing the bad. This is so important for reducing the risk of heart disease (along with managing those stress levels, my friends!). My new favourite source of all things coconutty is Jax Coco! With nothing added, such as preservatives or refined sugars, they’re kicking some serious health-butt. Straight from the tree to your bottle, they’ve done everything they possibly can to maintain the natural, beneficial goodness of those magical coconuts.
So, let’s talk about how to use your coconuts (rrroooowwwrrr).
Here are Catherine’s Cabinet’s top 10 ways to integrate coconuts into your health routine!
1. Eat a Coconut. WHAT? That’s a crazy thought! Why would I eat the ACTUAL FOOD?!? Yeah. I know, it’s tough to do a little hard work every now and then, but your bod will thank you. Going for the fresh version of a food is always the best idea. It’s a delicious snack that will help to curb some of those sugary cravings!
2. Cook with Coconut Oil. Make sure you are buying organic, extra virgin, raw, unrefined coconut oil to ensure that you’re obtaining the full beneficial properties of the oil. My personal favourite is Jax Coco. You don’t want something that has been processed or refined, so do your research before buying. Use it for cooking or in raw recipes! It’s also a great replacement for butter in baking.
3. Oil Pulling! Coconut contains something called Lauric Acid. This can help to prevent infections and kill harmful pathogens due to it’s anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal properties. Okay, but what is oil pulling? Take roughly a TBSP of coconut oil, shove it in your mouth, swoosh it around for 20-30 mins and then spit it out! It’s a natural mouthwash that has shown some proven results in cleaning the mouth, freshening the breath and even reducing inflammation in the gums. Maintaining good oral hygiene is crucial if you want to be as healthy as possible after all. Do remember to see a dentist in Tallahassee or a dentist where you live frequently too though as they can help you to ensure you are doing an excellent job of cleaning your teeth and gums.
4. Workout Hydration! Coconut water contains electrolytes which are lost during exercise on your skin through your sweat. Next time you’re thinking of grabbing one of those sugary or chemically-laden sports drinks, think twice! Grab a Jax Coco Coconut Water instead. They even have different, delicious flavours like chocolate and banana.
5. Make-up Remover! Why are you putting so many chemicals near your eyes every day? Hmmm? Why not try something natural, safe and effective to take off your makeup? Throw a little bit on a tissue or cotton pad. It works, trust me. And your skin will be left feeling soft and moisturized.
6. Personal Lubricant. Yep, I went there, but it WORKS. The membranes of your downstairs bits are quite thin and can absorb toxins quite easily. Your lady bits also need to maintain a specific pH-range to function properly and this will help to prevent yeast infections. Don’t mess with the sexy delicate ecosystem going on down there while trying to get it on or you’ll pay the price.
7. Moisturizer. Don’t put anything on your body that you wouldn’t eat. Toxins can be absorbed directly into your bloodstream! Next time you’re feeling a little dry or want a hot dewy glow, throw some coconut oil on it! This is even safe for use on babies.
8. Instead of Chocolate Milk. What? How did coconut water now become chocolate milk? Well, Jax Coco carries different flavours, right? The chocolate one actually tastes like chocolate milk – but without the dairy, possible hormones, antibiotics or CRAPOLA in it! They even come in kids sizes that fit right inside their lunch bags.
9. Hair Mask/Conditioner. Sometimes I wash my hair with weird things, I know. But now I’ve even started conditioning it with weird things too. It works! Sometimes I’ll slather my hair in coconut oil, wrap it up, sleep on it and then when I get up in the morning, I’ll wash it out. Like a high end salon treatment, my hair always feels moisturized, conditioned and soft. Sometimes I’ll even follow it up by throwing a pea-sized amount through my dry hair as a serum to reduce frizz and tame those pesky fly-aways!
10. In SMOOOOOTHIES! Well, how about I just give you one of my recipes for one?
Choco-Coco Butter Smoothie
1 Frozen Banana
1 Scoop Unflavoured Protein Powder (Whey or Vegan – your choice)
1 TSP Coconut Oil
330 ml Chocolate Jax Coconut Water
1 TBSP Almond Butter
1 TSP Jax Coconut Oil
*Yes, I put turmeric in the smoothie. It’s anti-inflammatory effects are phenomenal. In order for the active compound to be properly delivered into the cells, it needs to be carried by a fat molecule. Hence, the coconut oil. No, your smoothie won’t taste like curry though. You won’t even taste it provided you add just a pinch – but your joints and muscles will thank you post-workout.
Are you convinced on coconuts yet? Well, if by now you can’t find one way to integrate this healthy superfood into your life, then you’re a hard one to please! Even ask my Wellness Sister, Heather (she’s truly obsessed). Just remember to always be creative with your health. Keep it fresh and have fun or you’ll just never keep it up!
Food & Wine | Quitters Coffee stole my heart & I know why Next Post:
It’s 2015 AND it’s our birthday!