From the moment you wake up to when you finally go to bed at night, your day is most likely packed with obligations. Some days there’s barely any time to eat, let alone pack food before running out of the house. But what’s even worse is when you’re starving with fast food as you’re only option; most food from these places lack the nutrients your body needs to remain energized throughout the day.
As a nutritionist, people constantly ask me what my go-to snacks are. It’s essential to have healthy snacks on hand if you want to stay on track with your health goals. One of my top tips for health success is planning meals and snacks.
I recommend prepping most of your meals and snacks for the entire week in one day. This helps to keep you on track because you choose the body-loving ingredients that align with your health goals, rather than being forced to eat out where ingredients can be questionable. Plus, meal prep means less time spent in the kitchen and more time doing what you love.
One way to ensure that you are getting in your nutrients for the day and also saving on cost is to add some peanuts or peanut butter into your diet! From savoury to sweet, this versatile nut is packed with protein – more than any other nut!
Studies have shown the benefits of consuming peanuts on reducing instances of cardiovascular disease due to these healthy fats and antioxidants contained within. They’re a wonderful source of vitamin E, niacin and folate. Additional benefits include an aid in cognitive function and weight management.
The most popular snack I recommend are energy bites. They’re made with nuts, seeds and nut butter. The combination of plant protein and healthy fats helps balance blood sugar and stabilize energy levels to prevent that afternoon crash.
Peanut Butter and Coconut Bites are a delicious, energizing snack when you’re on the go. They’re loaded with nutrient-dense ingredients, like peanuts, chia seeds, and coconut oil, giving your body the energy it needs so you can power through your day. Make these on Sunday and store them in the fridge to snack on during the week. Don’t forget to share with your friends!
- 3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup all-natural* peanut butter (unsalted and sugar-free)
- ½ cup nuts and/or seeds (I used peanuts and almonds)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- 1-3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Dash of salt
- 1. In a high-speed blender or food processor, add shredded coconut and pulse in a fine powder. Empty coconut powder in a large bowl.
- 2. In the same container used for the coconut, add nuts and/or seeds and process in a food processor or high-speed blender until coarsely ground. Add nuts into the same bowl as the coconut.
- 3. Add remaining ingredients into the bowl and mix until evenly combined.
- 4. Place mixture in the fridge for 5-15 minutes, allowing it to firm slightly.
- 5. Remove from fridge. Using a tablespoon, scoop desired amount of dough and roll between hands to form a ball. Continue with the remainder.
- 6. Store in the fridge in an airtight container.
For more information on the power of peanuts, be sure to visit www.peanutbureau.ca!
For more healthy inspiration and delicious recipes, be sure to follow me on my Instagram Account. I’m so excited for you to join in on all of my #DoTheDaniel adventures in Ottawa!
With love & gratitude,
Don’t forget to Sign up for the DoTheDaniel.com Newsletter
Photos by Hannah Rauhanen, CNP
A Truly Toronto Hotel Experience Next Post:
Win a trip in Marriott’s Epic Canada Adventure Sweepstakes!