It’s no surprise that I am an avid wine lover. I love trying new wines and being able to share them with friends and family. You would have seen a lot of brands that we have tried professionally this year, but what wines am I buying this fall for us personally? What am I cooking to go along with them? I thought it was important to bring you BTS in my home on what I am enjoying this fall so that you too can try them as the weather gets cooler and those beautiful leaves start to change.
I am someone who loves to be in the kitchen. Cooking and baking for people is a form of catharsis for me. I put on a playlist of music to get me singing along while I create items to enjoy with those I love. Earlier this year I was introduced to the beautiful new wine label launched by Flat Roof Manor. The light and refreshing flavours of #FlatRoofManor Pinot Grigio was the perfect accompaniment to my grandmother’s upside down cake recipe. Pinot Grigio can sometimes be limited to the warmer weather months, but I like to keep it in the fridge because it’s acidity and citrus flavours make for amazing wine pairings. Not to mention that it’s a great excuse to enjoy something freshly baked out of the oven. I am a Libra after all, so balance is key!
I thought I would share my grandmother’s upside down plum cake with you all so that the next time you pick up a bottle or two of Flat Roof Manor, you had something special to make for your friends and family. You’ll notice that I swapped in cherries in the summer months, but now that plums are in season, it’s time to get back to the original version below.
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 6 large plums, halved, pitted, each half cut into wedges
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Stir 6 tablespoons butter, brown sugar and honey in heavy medium skillet over low heat until butter melts and sugar blend together.
- Transfer to 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 2-inch-high sides. Arrange plums in overlapping concentric circles atop sauce.
- Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in medium bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat remaining 6 tablespoons butter in large bowl until light.
- Add sugar and beat until creamy.
- Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in extracts.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, mixing just until blended.
- Spoon batter evenly over plums.
- Bake cake until golden and tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 5 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool in pan 30 minutes.
- Using knife, cut around pan sides to loosen cake. Place platter atop cake pan. Invert cake; place platter on work surface. Let stand 5 minutes. Gently lift off pan.
- Remember that baking can help reflect the fruits of the season. This recipe can easily swap out plums for seasonal fruits like cherries in the summer or apples in the fall. Get creative, because Flat Roof Manor Pinot Grigio can adapt to whatever kind of cake you feel like making!
For more wine pairing & inspiration, make sure try Flat Roof Manor wines for yourself. They not only are a great bottle to keep in the fridge to enjoy after a long day, but make for perfect wine pairings all year long. To join in on the social media conversation, make sure to follow and use the #FlatRoofManor hashtag. We can’t wait to see what you think!
Please remember to enjoy responsibly and never drink and drive. Not intended to be seen by persons under the legal alcohol drinking age or in countries with restrictions on advertising on alcoholic beverages. Please drink responsibly
For more behind the scenes of this and other amazing brands we are working with around the world, make sure to follow along with the #DoTheDaniel Instagram account. We would love to have you join on our adventures!
Don’t forget to sign up for the DoTheDaniel.com Newsletter
Mobile photos will be taken with my NEW Huawei P10 Plus
*Please note that this is a sponsored post – our disclosure can be found at all times by clicking here.