For those of you who remember, we spoke about the work of WWF Canada & MSC earlier this year when Julio attended the #WWFHealthyOceans dinner for us. Since that inspiring meal, I have made the conscious decision to be aware of the choices I make when shopping for seafood and MSC certification is now a standard that I look for. So when WWF Canada & MSC asked me to create an easy to make delicious meal in 25 minutes using their certified products, I was excited to create something that we could all enjoy together.
To celebrate the launch of School of Fish, an online hub of knowledge and sustainable recipes, we couldn’t have been more excited to participate in creating a meal the whole family will love. “School of Fish is a WWF-Canada initiative dedicated to sharing information about our oceans and the importance of using marine resources – especially seafood – sustainably.”
Off to my local Loblaws I went with Julio to pick up the ingredients I would need for our recipe. The thing I love most of all about Loblaws is their strong belief in MSC-Certified products. Always remember to look for the MSC logo when shopping for seafood to ensure that you are buying the best products on the market that meet their high standards.
“Only fisheries that meet the highest standards of sustainability are certified as meeting the MSC environmental standard for sustainable fishing.”
So. What recipe did I come up with? I wanted to create a sustainable, healthy and family friendly recipe to get the whole family in the kitchen cooking together and enjoying a meal around the dinner table. Take a look at how 25 minutes can make a meal that will have the whole family smiling.
Family Friendly Fish & Chips
- 2 fillets of MSC-Certified Cod
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of panko bread crumbs
- 1 fresh mango or ½ cup frozen mango
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 package PC Mixed Little Gems Yellow, Red & Blue Mini Potatoes
- 2 cups PC Organics Baby Spinach
- 4 tbsp of Jax Coco extra virgin centrifuged coconut oil
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of Nude Bee Honey Co. Wild Honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Slice mango and place in a saucepan over low-medium heat. Add water and allow to simmer
- Carefully slice fillets into finger length strips (should make approximately 16 strips)
- Slice mixed gem potatoes in half
- In a large frying pan heat Jax Coco extra virgin centrifuged coconut oil over over medium high heat
- Place potatoes sliced side down into oil once melted and allow to simmer until sides of the potato golden. Flip and repeat
- Once golden brown, place potatoes on a paper towel. Transfer to cookie sheet lines with aluminum foil.
- Mix eggs in a large dish and rub fish into mixture, transferring into panko bread crumbs to lightly coat the fish. This is where you can ask the kids to get messy with you which will help to get them excited about cooking.
- Place in oil and brown for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and add to cookie sheet
- Place cookie sheet in over and bake for 15 minutes
- In a large bowl, add spinach. Drizzle oil & Nude Bee Honey Co over spinach and toss liberally to ensure that the spinach is evenly coated.
- On a plate, combine fish, potatoes and sweet spinach salad. Serve with the mango reduction for a healthy alternative to sweetened sauces
What I love most about this recipe is that when you get the kids cooking with you, they are usually much more likely to want to eat something new because they have helped to prepare it. What kid doesn’t like getting their hands dirty? Coloured potatoes are so much fun! The mango sauce is a great alternative to sweetened store bought sauces and adding delicious Nude Bee Honey Co. honey to spinach is a great way to get kids eating their leafy greens.
Don’t forget to check out the School of Fish website for our recipe & many others that are both delicious and sustainable. Everyone wins when we make educated choices, so click here to get inspired.
And of course, to join in on the social media conversation, make sure to follow @WWFCanada & @MSCecolabel on Twitter and Instagram. Use the #WWFSchoolOfFish hashtag to show us when you use one of our recipes or create one of your own. We can’t wait to see how you embrace smart, sustainable choices in your daily life!
For more behind the scenes of this and other amazing brands we are working with, make sure to follow along with the #DoTheDaniel Instagram account!