Over the past few weeks, I have been reminded of the importance of disconnecting in order to reconnect with those I love. Sounds like a simple idea, but it’s actually a lot more difficult than you might imagine. As someone who “lives online” it can be difficult for me to not feel guilty if I don’t look at my phone every five minutes. But, with a little bit of practice, I’ve come up with some tips to treat the ones you love – be they your significant other or BFFs – while being more present in the moment.
Listen, I am the biggest proponent for sharing special moments online. It’s one of the reasons why I am so excited that our #DoTheDaniel team has started a new schedule to share their adventures around the world on a daily basis via Snapchat (click here to follow us.) But there is also something to be said for turning off and just being in the moment. Julio & I try to do this on Sundays now in order to appreciate time together as a married couple. Lately we’ve even been making an effort to have dinner dates with friends in the industry while not looking at our phones at all, and it’s been so refreshing!
So what tips do I use to reconnect with people and not their social media handles? I go back to basics.
- Good food is key. Even if it is just a quiet night in at our condo over some KFC delivered to our door, it’s about ensuring that we are feeding ourselves with food that satisfies that craving.
- Drinks (should you wish) are just as important as good food. But don’t over complicate things either. A simple Belvedere Vodka cocktail or your favourite bottle of Moët Chandon.
- Turn off your phone. Yes. I said it. But trust me when I say that even a few hours of having your mobile device turned off can make THE WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. At first, it may feel weird, but focusing on those in the room will help you remember what it’s like to give someone your undivided attention.
- Embrace a good game. For example, in our home, we usually break out into a highly competitive game of Mario Kart on our Nintendo Wii U. I guarantee you it’ll have you feeling like a kid again and will most likely result in fits of uncontrollable laughter.
- Should you not be a video game or board game person, why not binge watch a new Netflix Canada series? They have taken the world by storm, so it only makes sense to reconnect by sharing a love for something new. Chances are it is also a good way to ensure that these get togethers with friends or date nights begin a new tradition!
Using these few simple steps can help you to create new memories that will honestly bring you a whole new sense of appreciating what down time really means.
To join in the social media conversation with us across the country, make sure to follow @KFC_Canada on Twitter & Instagram and ‘Like’ Their Facebook Page. Share your romantic ideas, traditions & funny memories with us using
#KFCStories & #ChickNShare – we can’t wait to hear your date night ideas!
For more behind the scenes of this and other amazing brands we are working with around the world, make sure to follow along with the #DoTheDaniel Instagram account. We would love to have you join on our adventures! AND yes. we’re on Snapchat too! – click here to follow us!
Don’t forget to sign up for the DoTheDaniel.com Newsletter
Photos: All social media accounts listed above, KFC Canada & Daniel Reyes
Please remember to enjoy responsibly and never drink and drive
*Please note that this is a sponsored post – our disclosure can be found at all times by clicking here.
* Mobile photos taken with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
This Valentine’s Day, you deserve to reward yourself. Next Post:
A Holistic Nutritionist’s Guide To Better Sleep