It seems like there’s an awareness month for everything these days, and June just happens to be Potty Training Awareness month. I can remember the days before Lyric was trained, reading all the books and blogs and articles on how to potty train in a weekend… easy as 1-2-3! Uh, ya… ok.. not so much. It took a little longer than I had anticipated, but I knew from the get-go, he wouldn’t be going off to college in diapers, so I had nothing to really stress over.
This definitely won’t be a “here’s the best way to potty train” post. I’m not sure there really are any “absolute” right or wrong ways of doing it! I can let you in on a few of the things I learned through my time spent staring at my child on his potty!
- Start em young! 2/3 year olds are STUBBORN! I know the latest trend is to “wait until they’re ready”… I wanted get in there before we entered a battle of wills! They’re smarter than you give them credit for!
- Find a reward that works! He loved the first 2 stickers, then could’ve cared less! Pretzels worked perfectly and created a circle effect… pretzels made him thirsty, which meant he drank more water, and thus peed more! Practice makes progress!
- Make sure they’re comfortable on the potty! Whether you use a seat attachment on the big toilet or get a portable potty, make sure they feel safe, can get on and off it by themselves and can sit there comfortably for lengths of time.
- ACCIDENTS WILL HAPPEN! Always have a few extra outfits of clothes when you’re out. Not just 1, a few!
- Flushable Wipes! In diapers, the wipes get bundled up with the diaper and trashed. When training, you’ll want a wipe you can toss in the potty and flush the whole lot
Kandoo’s flushable wipes are just perfect! With a convenient case and refill packs available, you’ll never be without! They clean up to 30% better than just toilet paper, and they’re easier for lil ones to use on their own as they’re individual wipes. No rolls, or tearing, or unrolling the entire roll on the floor. haha! Safe for sewers and septic tanks, these wipes are flushable and biodegradable.
They also come in a convenient portable pack, perfect for your purse, diaper bag, car, anywhere you may make a pit stop! I also use them for messy hands while we’re out! I like knowing they’re better for the environment than traditional diaper wipes. Kandoo has LOTS of potty training tips and tricks for you to check out as well!
Are you potty training? Have a “big kid” looking to do it on their own? Here’s your chance to win the Kandoo line of products, a $120 value!! Entering is simple, easy as 1-2-3, but actually! haha!
2. Tweet the following tweet (shortlink must be included in tweet *)
** One (1) tweet per Twitter account will count as entry. Tweet must comply with above format to be entered to win. Winners must be following both twitter accounts as listed in Step # 1. Contest odds depend on how many valid entries are received. Contest runs until Sunday June 28th 2015 at 5:00pm EST. ONE winner will be chosen at random and announced via @amandahayden’s Twitter account on Sunday June 28th 2015 EST after 5:00pm EST. Prize cannot be redeemed for cash value. Contest winner will be contacted via Twitter and subsequently emailed for personal details. Contest open to Canadian residents only.**
** WANT AN EXTRA CHANCE TO ENTER? “Like” The DoTheDaniel.com Facebook Page and comment on this blog post link. Each Like + Comment will give you one extra entry above and beyond your tweet. Make sure to let us know your Twitter handle in your comment. **
Told you it was easy!! For more fun, follow along on my mommy adventures & get a behind the scenes look into my life, make sure to follow my Instagram Account today. We’d love to have you join us!
Photos via: Amanda Hayden Photography
Live, Laugh, Love