I’m sure you have noticed that lately I have been traveling a lot and adding new DoTheDaniel.com team members around the globe. But there is something to be said to coming home to a space that is your own. Julio & I currently rent our condo in Toronto as many of our friends do, but now that we are married and are beginning to plan having a family, it’s time to start thinking about buying our first home. Recently we’ve have the opportunity to work with The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) to talk about the experience and I am sharing my Top 5 Do’s & Don’ts when buying your first home. Let’s sip some REAL TEA (get it? Realty) and get serious about the biggest purchase of your life.
At the end of the day, buying a home will most likely be the biggest purchase of your life, which is why when anyone gives you advice about purchasing a house, it is best to take it, especially from people who have gone through this. It’s very unlikely that you will buy one home and stay in it for the rest of your life, so it’s also important to consider a home that will resell well too. Of course, there are Cash home buyers Indianapolis, New York, and Toronto too, as well as other locations, which will buy your home from you, easing the pressure a little. However, it’s still a huge commitment to make and there are a lot of factors you should consider when buying your first home. There’s so much to think about though, which is why finding out more about HOA’s guidelines can make all the difference in making this process a lot less stressful. It will be worth it in the long run.
As Julio & I begin the hunt and planning process, it became very clear to me that I would absolutely use a REALTOR® since they are the experts in the ins & outs of the home buying process. A fun fact about myself is that I actually worked in the mortgage industry for a few years and quickly came to realize that many people don’t in fact know as much as they thought they did. Having an expert like William Pitt on your side is crucial to ensure that nothing is missed and you end up with the home of your dreams.
Chances are if you’re like Julio & I who are still young in our marriage, talking about a big purchase can lead to heated conversations or confusion. We actually do a lot of talking about our family and future home when we lay in bed at night or first thing in the morning. It’s sort of become our tradition so that we can grab our tablet and look at the options in Toronto. That or we just get silly and take photos for social media instead of actually sitting down to talk about what really matters as first time home owners…
So to help us, and you, get more focused on the real world of buying a home in Toronto (one of Canada’s hottest housing markets) I’ve compiled the follow 5 Do’s and Don’ts to help alleviate some stress.
- DO hire a REALTOR® when looking for your first home. They know your ideal neighbourhood, comparable pricing and can offer expertise in a world that can be kind of scary as a first time home owner. Would you really risk the biggest purchase of your life on chance?
- DO your research on a home. A lot of times, similar to the video above, things may seem too good to be true. Ensure that you visit the property during the day AND night and really get a sense for what you’re getting into.
- DO be realistic with what you can afford and understand the current mortgage rules & regulations – your REALTOR® is a source of vast knowledge. Things are changing, and they know everything about it!
- DO feel comfortable to ask the questions that might seem silly to ask. There is no stupid question when it comes to buying your first home. What is the minimum down payment? What mortgage company has the best reputation? Should I get a fixed or variable rate mortgage? All important questions.
- DO your best to not get frustrated with your partner, friends or family that you are buying the home with. No one likes to talk about money, but it is important to have a clear direction in mind for what this property will be in five, ten or fifteen years.
- DON’T impulse buy. It may seem as though everyone and everything is rushing you into a purchase. But trust your instincts and trust your REALTOR® because the cost of breaking a mortgage or mortgage agreement could leave you without a house and heartbroken. Some people need to sell their house quickly to places like we buy houses Sacramento but that doesn’t mean you have to rush into any decisions.
- DON’T let the opinions of your friends and family be the sole reason you buy. I love my family, but they can at times be a bit dominant in my major life choices. Although I trust their opinion, it is ultimately up to Julio and I because we and our future family have to actually live there.
- DON’T give up if the first home you put an offer on doesn’t end up being yours. It can be very discouraging, but it is also important to know that the housing market in Canada is volatile at times and it means the home you are meant to find with a REALTOR® is just around the corner.
- DON’T get scared by the numbers. Chances are you’re looking a several hundred thousand dollars for your first home (or more) and that can scare people away. But with the advise of your REALTOR®, you can find the best mortgage provider who can also offer prepayment options which allow you to pay down the principal balance of your mortgage in a better, more efficient manner.
- DON’T bite off more than you can chew. Julio & I are by no means professional house flippers so I know that our first home may not be a fixer upper because we are skilled enough to do the work needed – that being said, when I sit down to talk about my wish list with my REALTOR® I know that they will help to give me a better reason for what I can and cannot take on as a first time home buyer.
To get Torontonians talking about the importance of using a REALTOR®, the Canadian Real Estate Association has launched a new campaign called REAL-TEA. The campaign includes a line of six teas designed for brave souls who are going it alone – i.e. not using a REALTOR®. Each tea is designed to soothe various real estate stresses. You can find out more at www.real-tea.ca. To help get you excited about the home buying process with a REALTOR®, be it the first time or not, I am hosting an exciting contest where one lucky Canadian can win a REAL TEA prize pack.
Here are a few easy ways to enter:
- Twitter: Follow @DoTheDaniel & @CREA_ACI
- Tweet the following tweet:
- Follow @DoTheDaniel & @CREA_ACI on Instagram
- Double-tap to like this image and tag two friends in the comments section.
It’s just that easy!
There are NO restrictions to the amount of times you can enter to WIN so keep tagging friends to share your excitement with additional entries!
** Winner must be following all Instagram and / or Twitter accounts as listed to be deemed valid. Contest odds depend on how many valid entries are received. ONE winner will be chosen at random and announced on @DoTheDaniel’s Instagram account upon conclusion of the contest Monday, October 31st 2016 at 5:00pm EST. Contest winner will be contacted via Instagram or Twitter and subsequently emailed instructions on how to claim prizes. Contest is open to Canadian residents only. Prize cannot be redeemed for cash value.*
AND did I mention that there is an exciting pop-up happening right here in Toronto on October 26th from 8:00am to 4:00pm at King Street West and Peter. All day long, there will be delicious teas,, great information and must-see experts who are ready to answer those burning questions. We will be there LIVE on location first thing in the morning and can’t wait to see you there!
“Everyone knows Toronto is a hot housing market. A REALTOR® can help you navigate a fast changing market and save you time, effort and stress. Sometimes, people try to buy or sell on their own, for those brave souls CREA is offering some relief. For one day only, buyers and sellers going it alone can pick up a temporary fix to ease their real estate stress, worries, sleepless nights and regrets.”
Don’t forget to join in on the social media conversation around travel while planning your first (second, or third) home by following @CREA_ACI on Instagram & on Twitter, and by ‘Liking’ their Facebook Page. Make sure to follow and use the #HowREALTORShelp hashtag to tell us your do’s & don’ts and to share your knowledge with Torontonians and Canadians alike. We can’t wait to hear what you have to say!
For more behind the scenes of this and other amazing brands we are working with around the world, make sure to follow along with the #DoTheDaniel Instagram account. We would love to have you join on our adventures! AND yes. we’re on Snapchat too! – click here to follow us!
Photos: The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) & Daniel Reyes
*Please note that this is a sponsored post – our disclosure can be found at all times by clicking here.