Okay, so IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢m not going to give you the whole Ã¢â‚¬Å“you need a whole buttload of proteinÃ¢â‚¬ speech. Because itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s just not true. Yes, you need protein – but not as much as you think. How much protein you require is based on your individual requirements – more so the type of activity you are partaking in, the activity level and your goals.
Here is a standard breakdown of protein requirements:
- The average adult requires approximately 0.8 grams per kilogram (2.2lbs) of body weight per day. And in some cases, less than that.
- Endurance athletes need about 1.2 to 1.4 grams per kilogram of body weight per day.
- Strength training athletes need about 1.4 to 1.8 grams per kilogram of body weight per day.
How do you know if you are consuming too much protein? Well, are you feeling bloated? That could be one of the signs. Too much can also affect your sleep, due to protein being high in phosphorus. So if you are having trouble sleeping, one of many reasons could be your high protein consumption. You can try scaling back a bit to see if it makes a difference. Ultimately, itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s important to maintain a mainly plant-based diet alongside healthy fats and clean protein.
Protein is found throughout the entire body – in virtually every body part or tissue. There are at least 10,000 different types of proteins that make you what you are and are keeping you that way! Protein is made up from amino acids, which are building blocks. As amino acid is very important for the body, it comes as no surprise that supplements like l phenylalanine are used to help people get the protein they need if they are lacking it. Our bodies can produce these in two different ways: by modifying others or from scratch. Adequate, regular protein intake is essential because it isnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t easily stored within the body. A few amino acids, which are called Ã¢â‚¬Å“essential amino acidsÃ¢â‚¬ come only from food sources.
Finding the right kinds of protein to consume for YOU as an individual is important. There are so many choices for every type of dietary need, from meat & fish, eggs, nuts & seeds, legumes, to a wide range of wonderful vegan or plant-based protein powders or clean whey-based ones. ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s important to pair a highly concentrated protein powder with a fat in order to balance insulin, which is your fat storage hormone.
Whey protein is among the best studied supplements in the world – and for good reason. With a very high nutritional value and numerous scientific studies revealing various health benefits, itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a highly recommended choice with many personal trainers finding the best bulk whey protein to buy for them and their clients. Whey protein has a full amino acid profile, fast digestion and is very high in Branch-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs). The Digestible Indispensable Amino Acid Score (DIAAS), which measures the digestion of amino acids, gives whey protein isolate a score of 1.09 according to a study from Nutrition & Metabolism.Ã‚ Mixed with the right kinds of carbohydrates, this kind of protein gives you an ideal post-workout snack.
What the heck are BCAAs anyways? TheyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re a tri-amino powerhouse that have anabolic effects on protein metabolism by increasing protein synthesis rate. They also lower the rate of protein degradation in resting human muscle and help with recovery from endurance exercise.
So, why is whey so great? Well, to name a few reasonsÃ¢â‚¬Â¦
- It has antiviral and antibacterial effects, which is wonderful for the immune system
- Helps to improve digestion
- Aids in appetite suppression
- Builds and repairs muscles and muscle function
- Has been shown to help maintain a healthy weight
- High in glutathione production, which is an important antioxidant
- Has a glucagon-releasing effect, which helps to keep blood sugar levels
- Contains the amino acid leucine, which which plays a key role in promoting muscle synthesis
When looking for a whey protein, you want something clean without any artificial ingredients, added sugars or fillers. A great option is BiPro, which makes an all-natural whey protein isolate that checks all of those boxes and contains no protein blends or unwanted ingredients. ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s naturally sweetened with stevia and naturally flavoured – although I personally prefer the unflavoured one!
BiPro is manufactured from fresh sweet dairy whey liquid obtained from the cheese-making process. The whey is drained and pressed from the curd. From there, the protein is isolated from the other components in whey via BiProÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s proprietary ion-exchange process and dried. The process is gentle and yields a complete protein with incredibly high purity. The result is a product with high purity (97 percent or higher) that is readily absorbed by the body. BiPro is also NSF Certified for SportÃ‚Â®, tested by a third party to ensure that it contains no banned substances.
If youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re looking to get those healthy fats and clean protein in your diet, in a fun and creative way, why not try it with some chocolate? So, IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve created a delicious and nutritious recipe just for you using BiProÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Unflavoured Whey Protein Powder!
- 1/2 C Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil
- 2 TBSP Raw Honey
- Pinch Cinnamon
- Pinch Maca (optional)
- 1 Scoop BiPro Unflavoured Protein Powder
- 1/4 C Raw Cacao
- 3-4 TBSP Natural Peanut Butter (smooth or chunky)
- In a large bowl, add coconut oil and honey.
- Whip together until smooth.
- Add cinnamon and maca (if you are using this), stir to mix.
- Add BiPro Protein Powder and stir to mix.
- Slowly, add the raw cacao until you obtain a cookie dough-like consistency.
- Add more cacao if there is a need to thicken your mixture.
- Line a 9x9x2-inch pan with parchment paper (this is important because they will stick to the bottom of the pan).
- Spread 1/2 of mixture evenly on the bottom of the pan.
- Add layer of peanut butter and then spread remaining 1/2 of chocolate mixture evenly on top.
- Use a knife or spatula to smoothen. It may mix a little, but no dramas!
- Chill in the fridge for 1 hour or freezer for 30 minutes.
- Cut into slices and serve immediately. These are best served cold because they will melt!
- Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
BiPro products are available for purchase on Amazon. Use the promo code BiProC20 to obtain 20% off 2lbs tubs. Offer ends March 15th 2017.Ã‚
Be sure to follow along with myÃ‚ Instagram account!Ã‚ For more information and helpful tips, make sure to stay up to date with all things Health & Nutrition on my website,Ã‚ CatherineÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Cabinet.
DonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t forget toÃ‚ sign up for the DoTheDaniel.com Newsletter
Catherine Sugrue, CNP