When I think about the summer means to me, it usually involves laughing with friends over a delicious meal and a good cocktail (or three!). It’s why when I remembered that August 16th is #NationalRumDay, I knew that it was time to get ready by picking up some BACARDÍ for an evening with people we love and cocktails to leave them smiling. Check out some of our favourite cocktail recipes that you too can recreate at home to join in on the #NationalRumDay excitement with Canadians from coast-to-coast!
The fact remains that when it comes to creating cocktails at home, I am always on the lookout for quality ingredients. There is something to be said for experience, and BACARDÍ certainly has that in an ever growing world of rum lovers. “In 1852, an earthquake destroyed Don Facundo Bacardi’s Massó’s business. Instead of throwing in the towel, he became determined to craft a rum that would far surpass the local rum which was being sold. His hustle produced a rum that was balanced and light. From tragedy came his legacy – BACARDÍ rum.”
I can identify with the tenacity and determination that went into the creation of one of our favourite rums. Like many Canadians, I’ve faced a lot of hurdles in my life, but I never let them break me. Similarly, the evolution of BACARDÍ was born out of this desire for something bigger. The rum we sip today was built on the backs of those people who wouldn’t give in to the obstacles they faced, and we can all celebrate #NationalRumDay by toasting to their passion and uncompromising love of rum.
If you’re looking for a great conversation starter while sipping on your favourite BACARDÍ cocktail, you can tell your guests about the significance of the bat logo. “The bat has always been a symbol of good fortune. One day, Doña Amalia Bacardí (of the Bacardí kin) spotted a fruit bat in the family’s distillery. It then occurred to her that the bat should become the symbol of Bacardí. Today, it remains on the bottle, helping the family survive whatever fate throws at it.” I LOVE that story and tell it on a regular basis over cocktails with friends after a busy day. I can assure you it will start many great conversations on #NationalRumDay!
So, what about a few easy-to-make BACARDÍ cocktails that you can enjoy on August 16th along with us all!
Classic Bacardi Maestro Mojito
- 2oz Gran Reserva Maestro
- ½ fresh lime cut into quarters
- 12 fresh mint leaves
- 2 heaped tsp fine white sugar (Caster sugar)
- Soda water
- Method: Place the lime segments in a tall glass. Add the sugar and muddle gently to release the limejuice. Clap the mint in your hands and drop into the glass (do not muddle). Fill the glass to the top with crushed ice. Add Gran Reserva Maestro and soda. Stir well with a bar spoon to release limes and sugar from the bottom. Top up with more crushed ice. Garnish with a healthy bouquet of mint.
- 2 parts BACARDÍ Maestro
- 1 part freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp. fine white sugar (caster sugar)
- Top with soda
Pour the BACARDÍ Maestro, lemon juice and caster sugar into a cocktail shaker with cubes of ice and then give it a good, hard shake. Fine strain the mixture into a serving glass and top it up with soda. Finish by garnishing it with a lemon wheel.
- 11⁄2 parts BACARDÍ Ocho Años
- 11⁄2 parts sugar syrup
- 11⁄2 parts fresh lime juice
- 6 mint leaves
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 parts champagne
In a cocktail shaker, place mint leaves, then add the lime juice and syrup. Press the mixture gently into the shaker with your muddler. Next pour in the BACARDÍ Ocho Años, Angostura bitters and ice. Place the lid on the shaker then shake everything well. Strain the mix into a cocktail glass and top it up with champagne. Garnish the drink with mint leaves.
DAISY DE SANTIAGO
- 2 parts BACARDÍ Maestro
- 3⁄4 part freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1⁄4 part sugar syrup
- 11⁄2 parts Yellow Chartreuse
- Fresh berries and a mint sprig
Pour the BACARDÍ Superior, freshly squeezed lime juice and sugar syrup into a mixing glass. Then add some ice cubes and stir briefly. Next, fill a wine goblet with crushed ice and pour the liquid from the mixing glass into the goblet. Garnish with mint and seasonal fresh fruit. Finish off by floating the Chartreuse on top.
- 1 part BACARDÍ Limon
- 3 parts lemonade
- Method: To build this signature rum cocktail, pour BACARDÍ Limon and 3 parts lemonade over ice. Garnish with a lemon wedge
- 1 part BACARDÍ Gold
- 2 parts cola (bottled)
- 2 lime wedges
- Method: To build this legendary cocktail, fill a highball glass with ice. Then squeeze 2 lime wedges over the ice and drop them into the glass. Pour in the BACARDÍ Gold, followed by chilled cola, and give it all a gentle stir.
There are so many other amazing recipes available on the BACARDÍ website – simply click here to check them out!
Don’t forget to join in on the social media conversation all day long on August 16th by following @BacardiCanada on Twitter and Instagram. Use the #NationalRumDay hashtag to show us how you are celebrating or what cocktail you decided to make. We can’t wait to see how you join in on the excitement with us all!
Please remember to enjoy responsibly and never drink and drive
*Please note that this is a sponsored post – our disclosure can be found at all times by clicking here.